Sunday, July 29, 2012

Washi's Up?

Catered Crop

I've been watching the Olympics Primetime spot on NBC, and tonight was gymnastics and swimming. It's pretty crazy what all these athletes can do. They train all their lives for this one shot, and then all bets are off at the competition. It could be jitters, a bad day, or an injury that can take it all away. I can't imagine that kind of pressure these athletes are, and some are as young as 15 or 16...

So while all this excitement was happening, I decided to play along at Catered Crop. I found this site through Rebecca, and was just delighted. Most of you know how much I am a foodie, and this challenge group combines the metaphors of the kitchen in the crafting space. How can I not love this? And I absolutely dig the vintage, clean and simple logo.


So this week they are putting a recipe swap together with washi tape! As you can see, I had to "borrow" their clever, punny "Washi's Up" line...So here is my creation (while watching nervously the US girls complete their gymnastics).

Hello Tag
Stamps: N/A
Paper: (Paper Basics Card Stock - Vintage Cream) Papertrey Ink
Ink: N/A
Embellishments: (Grab Box - Tag) The Craft's Meow; (Washi - Love Graph, Sketched Grey Polka Dot, Sketched Grey With Love, Heart Cloud) Freckled Fawn; (Border Punch - Scallop Sentiment, Swiss Cheese) Fiskars; (Washi - Blue Grid with Red Dots, Gray Stripes, Aqua Pink Argyle, Light Green Chevron) Love My Tapes; (Decorative Washi Tape Set #2 - Teal Woodgrain; Decorative Washi Tape Set #3 - Teal Hearts) Hambly Studios; (Jolee's Boutique - Fish Bowls) Stickopotamus; (Precision Pen - Black 01) American Crafts; (Inkssentials - Glossy Accents) Ranger; (ABC Stickers - HLS0092) Lily Bee Design


My inspiration for this tag was the little fish in the Jolee's Boutique Fish Bowl sticker set. I knew I wanted to create something with this, and I thought making a tag of washi "ocean waves" would be fun. Here is a quick look at my supplies: 13 rolls of washi, two card stock, a tag, border punch, and the stickers. I changed my mind on the alphas, as you can tell, but that usually happens half way through creation...

Hello Tag Supplies

To create these scallops I taped up strips of Vintage Cream card stock and ran them through my border punch. I glued down the layers as I went. I thought my fish should blow some bubbled, so I used the Swiss Cheese border punch to get various sizes of circles. Carefully with tweezers and a Am Crafts Precision Pen I created some bubbles on the circles and then finished with Glossy Accents.

Hello Tag

After looking at the alphas I have pulled before, I decided I wanted some letters that were not squares or circles - just plain cut out letters. These from Lily Bee Design were perfect size and perfect weight (not too skinny, not too bold). But I'll let you judge...

Hello Tag

It was truly a fun tag to make. Glad I was watching TV, since it took awhile to tape down and punch out everything so carefully. Lots of tweezer work too! Thanks for peeking!

9 comments:

~amy~ said...

Oh I love this...tons!

Pauline said...

This is a gorgeous tag, I love all the different types of washi tape!

Jessi Fogan said...

Super fiddly, but I LOVE how it turned out! And I think you went the right way with the letters - something bold was just the ticket :)

Rebecca Mosher said...

I love your take on this challenge, you certainly made use of your Washi tape for this. Absolutely brilliant!

B said...

Super cute! Love the use of the washi tape and the scallops!

Ines said...

Total schön! Gefällt mir sehr. Sorry, habe lange keine Kommentare hinterlassen. Schaue aber trotzdem immer bei dir vorbei.

Hoffe dir geht es gut. Liebe Grüße, ines

Linda McClain said...

Wowzers! That's a gold medal for sure. (Yep, I got one eye on the Olympics, too.) Love it! I'm so glad you found us.

Neela Nalam said...

Love the effort. I just bought my first set of washi tape today. This tag is a simply amazing use of it.

Erica Bass said...

Super cute- worth the effort!

Related Posts with Thumbnails