Sunday, October 7, 2012

[The #30WriteNow October Writing Challenge] Sin...

Day 6's prompt, if we choose to use it, is Sin. I know I'm writing on Day 7, but here I am hoping to catch up on both assignments. Work hasn't been exactly my friend...
_____________________________________________________________________

So the dork in me saw this writing prompt and I started thinking 1 / cos. And then I started seeing graphs and all of school came flooding back. I kind of miss this. 

To get started on this topic, I decided to look up the seven deadly sins:

  • Lust
  • Gluttony
  • Greed
  • Sloth
  • Wrath
  • Envy
  • Pride

It's not a easy list to digest. In fact, I'm not even sure where to start. 

In my childhood, these were things that my parents brought up. Not always in those same exact words as those listed here, but they would remind us in different ways.

Don't hunger after those things that you can't have. It could be anything, like those riding lessons that my friends had, or the newest toys or pencils. Just be content with the things we have and be grateful for them.

Everything in moderation. My brother and I learned a few times how we should have probably eaten those candies in moderation. But do we listen? Well the upset stomachs were enough to prove it.

Don't be greedy. Leave some for others or share. It's never worth it to hog everything to yourself. The rewards in sharing and sharing those experiences with other are many more rewarding that experiencing them on our own.

Be tidy. Be cleanly. And don't be lazy. Laziness never gets us far. It's only by hard work that we can be rewarded. If we wanted something, we had to earn it. I think this was truly evident in the music portion of my childhood. With some hard work and some perseverance, music became more beautiful. After unlocking the difficult passages and those horrible rhythms, the whole piece would unfold itself like a different world & lyrical language.

Be kind and cool. Always give people the benefit of the doubt. My parents would tell me to let things sit. And I never understood why this was so important. Until I was much older.

Stop envying other people, because they probably have other issues and other hardships that we can't see. We have ours, they have theirs, but stop wanting what they want. Be happy & grateful with what you have.

Be humble. Don't brag. It's not becoming (or attractive). Being prideful meant we block ourselves from learning new things and seeing things how they really are. There were always these stories of a prideful peacock or some swan...

This certainly is the reader's digest version of the reader's digest version of our upbringing. It took many years to cultivate these lessons into us, and we are not always perfect in following these to the tee, but we certainly have been taught to know the right from the wrong. And to know when we edge into the warning or danger zones of any of these. But aside from consistent upbringing and hand-on parenting, I don't know of a good way to be educated on these sins.  How would you tackle understanding sin?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails